On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 6:59 PM, Raymond Wan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Hi Amit,
>

> Amit Saxena wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 6:20 PM, Raymond Wan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> >wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Amit,

>>> I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean here...  You DO have
>>> modules in your home directory, but you don't want to ask the sysadmins
>>> download them for you?  How did you get those modules in your home
>>> directory, then?
>>>
>>> By installing them in your home directory, I also mean that *you*
>>> download
>>> them yourself.  At first, I thought the sysadmins are preventing you from
>>> installing for strange reasons (disk quota, etc.).  So, in the absence of
>>> someone giving you an answer to your other question, you might want to
>>> look
>>> into how to do an install in your home directory.  Check this out:
>>>
>>> http://servers.digitaldaze.com/extensions/perl/modules.html
>>> http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/CPAN/perl/lib/CPAN.html
>>>
>>> On the first page, scroll down to the bottom to where it talks about
>>> CPAN.pm.  If that doesn't work, then download the source and compile as
>>> the
>>> top of the first link says.
>>>
>>> Of course...this is only if no one else can help you with your original
>>> question; I've certainly installed modules in my home directory without
>>> ever
>>> bothering the system administrator at all.
>>>
>>> And yes, using them should be faster than doing "system ("file")"...
>>>
>>> Ray
>>>

>> Hi Ray,
>>
>> There seems to be some confusion here, let me resolve it.
>>
>> I have already installed some Perl modules in my home directory using the
>> procedure which is same as what's mentioned in those links as well.
>>
>> However I use these modules just to explore a new functionality or to test
>> whether there is any new module which can serve better than the existing
>> one.
>>
>> Excluding the user's home directories, any changes to the UNIX system for
>> databases, application languages, system settings are carefully monitored
>> and any request for the same goes through a channel where the requester
>> needs to convince a team about why we need changes in the development
>> environment.
>>
>> That's why I was exploring if there is already some built-in module, I can
>> use and explore that.
>>

> Sorry, but you haven't cleared things up any better for me.  :-)  Maybe you
> can try one more time with me...
>
> If you use the procedures listed in those links, you will be able to:
>
> a)  install Perl modules in your home directory,
> b)  allow you to explore new functionality and to test which option is
> best,
> c)  remove or update them as you choose, and
> c)  NOT make any changes to the Unix system because only *you* can use them
> [...]
Hi Ray,

What you have interpreted is not at all correct.

I am fully aware that installing a module in my UNIX account home directory
will not have any affect on the overall system and the changes will be
applicable with in my account only.

What I meant was that I always prefer to look for built-in module instead of
external module from CPAN.

Generally the process goes like this :-

1. I download and install modules on CPAN so as to avail a feature which is
not available in the standard Perl distribution.

2. Once satisfied with the module, I raise a request to the system
administrators to install that module in Perl standard location so that
other developer's like me can use that by accessing it from the standard
Perl library location and they don't need to install it in their respective
home directories.

3. In continuation with the earlier point, generally it's tough to convince
the team which decides on which all system level changes like external Perl
modules, will be installed.

Just to avoid the effort that is taken to convince the authorities, I want
to skip this entire exercise by exploring whether a built-in Perl module is
there which does the same thing.

I hope you get it this time, if not, I am ready to explain it ;-).

Thanks & Regards,
Amit Saxena