Cross-species alert!
My big gelding, Bard, developed OCD during a late growth spurt (he is over
17 hands tall, which means 5'8" at the withers, and weighs in at about
1450-1500 lbs--much, much bigger than both parents). Although they do a lot
of OCD surgery on horses these days, his was very mild and he was a poor
candidate for surgery. I did Adequan and Legend and injected the stifle
joint with steroids twice. Nothing worked, so I threw him out in the pasture
and left him for a little over a year. At that time, I pulled him out of the
field and trotted him up--98% sound, sounder than many horses who are ridden
daily. So, he went back into light to moderate work, and has been working
for a year now. He misses a step once in a while, and he isn't as strong on
that side as he used to be, but he is well within normal limits for a horse
working at the lower levels of his sport.

My point is, I guess, even with OCD that is not a good candidate for
surgery, the body can and does adjust itself given enough tincture of time.
The vets said he probably wore the lesion to a more comfortable place just
through his normal free exercise choices; they predicted that that was a
possibility given how it looked in the initial diagnosis. Sometimes we look
at these bone issues as the end of a healthy, happy life, and that just
isn't necessarily so for most cases, in my experience (my beloved departed
Akita, Rohan, had severe HD but it didn't really slow him down until he was
getting up in years).

Eileen Morgan
The Mare's Nest
http://www.enter.net/~edlehman