Shelley,

This what I found on DES when I looked into it.  The information is from
DES Action Canada (a lobby group for those exposed); the law firm
Feldman & Rifkin and the Canadian Government Health Site, all of which
agreed on the % greater risk of cancer in those women who took DES prior
to 1971:

"DES daughters (the term used for women whose mothers took DES during
pregnancy) are at greatest risk for health problems, but DES mothers
(the women who took the drug) and DES sons may have complications as
well."

"Women who used DES may have a slightly increased risk of breast cancer.

Current research indicates that the risk of breast cancer in DES-exposed
mothers is approximately 30 percent higher than the risk for women who
have
not been exposed to this drug.  This risk has been stable over time, and
does
not seem to increase as the mothers become older.  Additional research
is
needed to clarify this issue and whether DES-exposed mothers are at
higher
risk for any other types of cancer."

When I investigated synthetic estrogen for incontinence in a non-Berner
girl some years ago, I looked at the incidence of mammary cancers in her
line and siblings, her age and how long she was likely to be on the
medication (that is, as she was elderly I knew she would not be taking
the medication for years and years), her overall health status, etc. and
made my decision based on the best risk/benefit analysis I could put
together. Of course, I did not have the wonderful Berner-L from which to
seek guidance.

It will be interesting to hear from the doctors and vets on the list
have to say.

Patricia McIlveen (Yeoman, Reba & Gus)
Calgary Alberta