On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 14:00:57 +0000 "Karyn Waugh"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have seen posts here about berners in newspaper ads and I realize
> that
> many do not approve of advertising puppies in newspapers.  But I'm
> curious,
> what's the difference between advertising in the newspaper and
> advertising
> in the internet?  When it comes down to it, isn't it all the same?

You are right it is  all the same. There is no guarantee that the pretty
fancy internet website/advertisement (cause that's what kennel websites
are - fancy ads) is any different than the newspaper. It often costs less
to have a website monthly than to pay for newspaper ads. Once upon a time
it was frowned upon to have to advertise however now attitudes are
changing in that it is becoming more desirable for good breeders to place
ads so PPO can find them. Many good people simply don't know how to
connect with a good breeder and instead find the BYB when looking in the
paper. The only sure thing is for a PPO to know how to ask the right
questions when looking for a puppy and expect to be patient and wait for
the right breeder to have a pup for them.

I've looked at quite a few websites and have found that some of the red
flags when looking at the site as to the breeder is :1) does the breeder
give their name location phone number?(commercial and backyard breeders
tend to give little if any personal information)  2) does the breeder
give pedigree information (breeders who spend months planning each
breeding take pride in the pedigrees of their dogs) 3) does the breeder
give more info than pictures of cute puppies (breeders who take pride in
their dogs will give at least some health history on their dogs which
often includes more than just the parents) 4)are there pictures of the
parents (breeders who are proud of their adult dogs often show pictures
of the entire dog. Those cute puppy pics don't tell you anything about
what the pup may grow into but sure do help sell puppies) 5)is there any
educational info on the site (this can be hard totally descern as some
BYB have started adding some info on their sites such as basic training
and descriptions of the breed)

Of  course all the red flags won't help as there are no hard and fast
rules. Speaking with the breeder and how you feel about the person and
how they measure up to all the many facets of responsible breeding is the
only way to know what type of breeder you are dealing with

Susan Ablon
Gweebarra BMD
Balch Springs, Tx
http://www.pageweb.com/gwebara