----- Original Message -----
From: "Jordan S. Dill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> When I asked "why" of Angell and the Vet they w/o skipping a beat
> answered, "genetics." This is what prompted the question. Now from what I
> gather (list answers to my question), unless there is a proclivity for
> cancer in a breeders line, this is not so.
>
> I do want another Berner friend for Hesse but can not go through
> what I've just been through financially...appreciate all the advice.

Quite frankly, we know for a fact that some kinds of cancers are genetic,
and some are just plain bad luck. Also, when we get quite elderly and
something goes wrong in our bodies, it often manifests itself in a cancer.

Berners do not develop cancer more often than Pyrs, but in my opinion, more
Berners get cancers at younger ages, and the cancers tend to be more
aggressive. For example, Malignant Hystosis is a very rare cancer, but it is
the most common cancer Berners get. There is a genetic component to this
cancer, but it is a complex one; it might skip some generations, or slide
from a auntie to a nephew rather than parent to pup.

So I do not disagree with the vet who told you genetics. And I do not think
predicting and controlling these genetics is easy. It might be more common
in some lines than others, but I really doubt there is a line which is
cancer free.

Eileen Morgan
The Mare's Nest
http://www.enter.net/~edlehman