I guess Maria has qualified me as a friend, so from that standpoint I'll
describe the Berner greeting I get from Daisy and Buddy.

As my car pulls into their parking area, Daisy stands with her paws on
the porch railing and barks enthusiastically. Buddy barks for good
measure. When I get out and they come greet me, Daisy is a whirling
dervish, not sure what she wants me to pet first, but her prime
directive seems to make sure that I am not forced to touch Buddy or in
any way come near him. Buddy just waits. Daisy leaps and jumps and tells
me how no one ever pets her, how she is mistreated horribly by people
who never give her a bit of affection, and in spite of being told firmly
"OFF" by several of us, she has to get up to whisper in my ear about all
her trials and tribulations. Buddy just waits.

Once I have been suitably greeted, I try to move into the house. This is
normally a difficult feat with Daisy running in and out between my legs.
But add a suitcase and subsequent poor visibility of the ground, it
makes it easy for Buddy to finally attempt to get my attention - by
tripping me. I have to put down the suitcase and then pet him. Daisy by
this time has to run to tell Maria that there is a guest. As though
Maria didn't already know from all the barking and laughing....

Then I move inside to be able to sit on the floor and be suitably mauled
by two of the sweetest and friendliest Berners who tell me that they are
never petted, never fed, and never given enough treats. Then come the
bellyrubs!!! And they have to show me their few paltry toys, I think
they only have 20 or so.

Eventually I get to say Hi to Maria and Jack...

Pat Long (& Luther - who lets Daisy and Buddy know who is really the top
dog)
Berwyn PA