Tami wrote:
>"...but no they got a pup out of a Pet Store. ARGGGGGGGG."

>How timely, one of my best friends (of many years) just last night
emailed >me a picture of her new pup, an American Eskimo they bought
from a petstore, >& I've been thinking the same thing.  Everytime she
mentioned wanting a dog >I told her about puppy mills, responsible
breeder criteria, rescues, health >clearances, etc.

>Now I know how so many parents feel when their kids run amok. . .
"where >did I go wrong?"

***  but sometimes it succeeds.  I have been having an ongoing dialog
with a woman who bought her puppy from our resident Georgia puppy
miller.  After two weeks of intestinal illnesses/bloody stools, and the
knowledge of what she had done in making this purchase, she did what I
consider an incredibly courageous thing...she returned the puppy.  I am
frankly amazed the guy took the puppy back (and returned her money), and
she is understandably devastated over the whole thing, but at the end of
the day she did the RIGHT THING!!!  And she did it all on her own.  My
tongue was bitten in two, but I didn't tell her what to do.  When she
told me where she got the puppy from, I informed her of what we knew
about the guy, but I wasn't going to rake her over the coals... I just
figured it was water over the dam, and it would do no good to alienate
her, especially as she had gotten such an earful from the puppy miller
about what horrible people we "show" people were.

I hope when she is ready to get another berner pup - and she isn't ready
right now - we will be able to thank her for having done the the right
thing by finding her a healthy, happy bouncing baby berner.  This PPO
can just as easily represent the future of our breed as the PPO's who
have to have the first puppy they see.

It doesn't always work out this way, and I would never have thought this
situation would have resolved itself in the way that it did...But it is
gratifying to know that sometimes our educational efforts are NOT in
vain, that they DO have merit and people DO listen and read and at the
end of the day, they DO make the right choices.

Mary and the girls, Laurel and Bailey
Fayetteville, GA