As you have noticed, I do not mince words where the welfare of the Bernese Mountain Dog is concerned because I do not feel I am serving the breed by being any less than completely honest, as my mind dictates.
What I had hoped to state was that this breed has some very serious health problems and even the well-bred dogs are not immune from them.
Should your Bernese fall ill with one or more of these problems, it is not unheard of to be required to spend several thousand dollars, often to save the dog's life or to establish a diagnosis or to evaluate his condition, often in the course of a several day time period. I would recommend that every Bernese owner have at least, actually more, three thousand dollars tucked safely away, should the dog's health deteriorate. And, sometimes, there is no "warning." My current Berner was fine one day and the next day found him lying on his side, clearly in pain; this was the beginning of our autoimmune "saga."
As to his osteosarcoma, we were merely Xraying for the progression of his arthritis, to determine the best management regimen for him. The Xray, surprisingly, revealed a very suspicious area on his femur and a biopsy, where half a dozen specimens were taken, clearly indicated bone cancer. This kind of cancer spreads aggressively through the blood stream and a week later, the leg was amputated to remove the primary tumor site. Each chemotherapy session cost one thousand dollars. I was brought up to not discuss costs BUT I do not feel that being any less than "brutally" honest about what can occur serves anyone well, especially the dog. My previous Berner, also well-bred, lost a leg to synovial cell sarcoma. I consider my dogs family and would do anything necessary to ascertain a long and quality life for each. To me, toasters are replaceable, living beings are not.
It has been discussed that there might well be no lines free from cancer in the breed and immune system and orthopedic problems are not uncommon.
I have been owned by Berners for twenty years, each has lived a very long life, considering the breed, and while the Bernese is unequaled in devotion, sensitivity, and sheer physical beauty, the health of the breed is, in my opinion, poor at best.
There are indeed pet insurance companies and I have signed up my one year old Swiss dog for such. Ascertain that the company you select will cover conditions known to be a problem in the breed.
Lisa Allen