I agree that pet insurance is a good idea, but one should be aware that there are many
exclusions.
My Maddie ate about 3 feet of couch last fall when she was 4 or 5 months old...took
her to the emerg. vet for treatment and the cost was covered. However, all her
diagnostics/treatments for elbow dysplasia have been excluded (this is considered a
genetic defect, apparently).
When I first acquired Titan he had a bout of flea-bite dermatitis. Later that summer I
bought the insurance; now I cannot get any coverage on skin conditions for him as they
are considered a preexisting condition.
I still think pet insurance is a good idea, however, and it is relatively affordable
(about $17/month for each dog; this is VPI, Veterinary Pet Insurance). It's just wise
to know up front about the things that may not be covered.
Anne
Cranford, NJ