Marion

I'm the tick queen of the Western world. Sadly. Because of where we live -
Moorland, bracken, sheep - my dogs are veritable tick magnets. Plus, this
part of England never really gets cold enough to kill off ticks, thus I
begrudgingly pull off ticks all year round. I tried a variety of natural
things, neither of them were effective.

I found Frontline useless, never mind how carefully and diligently I applied
it. My dogs still got ticks and far from killing them off, they appeared to
be thriving on them. Whilst I second Deb Tripp's recommendation in regards
to the Whole Dog Journal - it truly IS a great publication - I found their
article about natural tick management less than useful. If I remember
correctly, the chief advice was to keep your dog away from tick prone areas
and to check the coat thoroughly for ticks after each walk. One CAN see the
crawling ticks before they attach but they are really tiny and with a long
haired dog they are b*****s to find. Summa summaris, the article didn't
really offer an effective alternative for tick control, either.

On our last vacation to Switzerland the Swiss vet highly recommended a
product called " Ex-Spot" for ticks. He said he hardly uses Frontline
anymore since it really doesn't work. "Ex-Spot" is one of those chemical
concoctions, too, but you have to weigh up the lesser of two evils. From
what I gather, most European vets use this product and have given up on
Frontline.

I brought some "Ex-Spot" home with me so if you want any further info,
please let me know. Also, one of the European members might know this
product better than me  ( Bernd? Tim? ) and perhaps could comment on it.
Either way, it certainly works.

Regards

Michaela, Harvey & Rupert
Devon/UK