From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: March 24, 2003 11:00 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Bloat

In a message dated 03/24/2003 9:09:34 AM Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<   I never feed more than four cups of food to a Berner at one time." >>

While discussing bloat and factors that might contribute to the bloat risk,
keep in mind that not all cases are directly connected to food in the
stomach!  Just this summer, a young female drank quite a bit of water as
she
was warm from an unaccustomed amount of exercise during the day; she was in
new location and very shortly, she demonstrated bloat symptoms.
Fortunately,
temporary veterinary care and support were immediately available and kept
her
alive until she was transported several miles to a surgical site where her
torsion and volvulus were reduced and a gastropexy performed.  It had been
many hours since food had been ingested so don't get a false sense of
security because your dog has an empty tummy - other factors can contribute
to this deadly condition.

Anne Copeland, Flash,TDI/CGC (Berner, 8 1/2 yrs.) & Gypsy TDI/CGC(Rescue
Cavalier,2 yrs.)
BMDCSEW Tracking Test Chair/Sec.
NE ILL       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ty's memorial page: http://www.geocities.com/workingyorkie/ty.html