Hi Maria,
Interesting topic you bring up.  I have had many BMD's live past 10
years of age, the longest-lived was Fritz, who passed on at 14 years of
age.  I've had many ppo's call and tell me their previous dog 'died of
old age'.  To me, this means they do not know why their dog died.  In
today's world, that means they did not try to find out (for whatever
reason).

The term 'dying of old age' is, to me, kind of like 'the vapors', i.e.
it is an old term that is no longer meaningful.  Dying of 'old age' was
said to happen when the body just 'quit' without obvious reason after a
long life.  We now have so much more technology and knowledge, that we
have the ability to find out the reason for death.  We don't have to
settle for a catch-all phrase such as 'old age'.  There are always
specific reasons for death -- an organ system, structure, etc. that is
no longer able to function for a specific reason.
A good, healthy BMD should live 10-12 years.  Causes of death in my dogs
who died after a long life were:
Konig: Bloat, 10.5 yrs.
Missy: Histio, 10 yrs.
Amelia: Leiomyosarcoma, 10.5 yrs.
Abby: Lymphoma, 11.5 yrs.
Brando: Anaplastic lymphoma, 10.5 yrs.
Betsy: cancer, unknown type, 12.5 years
Fritz: Hemangiosarcoma, 14 yrs.
Rosie: Degenerative arthritis of spine, 12 years
Lucy: Cardiomyopathy (on necropsy, was found to be secondary to
malignant histio), 11.5 years
Christie is currently gracing my couch at 11 yrs 5 months of age.  She
is one of 5 littermates still doing well out of a litter of 8.  The
youngest died at 7 years (bloat), then one at 8 years (histio) and one
at nine years (unknown cancer).

It is SO important to know the cause of death of our dogs so that we
have complete information on our breed.  With this knowledge, we can
make the best decisions in breeding, future areas of health research,
etc.  For example, the MH study currently being conducted at Fred Hutch
in Seattle:  For their control group, they are getting blood samples
from BMD's over 10 years of age, thinking those dogs would not die of MH
since we lose dogs at such a young age to this disease.  They are having
to revise this after 3 of their control group dogs have eventually
passed on of histio.  The more we know, the better the decisions we can
make for our own dogs as well as the breed.

Unfortunately, not all my dogs have lived long lives.  I have been
blessed to have the majority of my kids do so, but have also known the
horrible ache of losing dogs before their time.  Longevity is something
that we need to continually consider along with everything else.  IMO,
breeding for longevity too often takes a back seat to many, many other
priorities.  A balanced breeding program keeps longevity as a high
priority.

Berner wags,
Suzanne Hostetter
Alpenrose Farm