In a message dated 08/04/2003 12:35:57 PM Central Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

<< I also yip and carry on piteously when they bite someplace else. They seem
 to find that strange enough that it helps, too. >>

In most cases, this only works on young puppies, less than 4 mos. of age.
Once they get to the 3 or 4 mo. stages, the noise seems to incite them to bite
harder; it seems the prey drive is starting to overtake the inhibition.  For
the little older puppies, the ignoring them and giving them a time out seems to
work better.  Just remove their object of play (you) for a few minutes.  What
we really need them to learn is not so much not to put their mouth near us,
but to inhibit or moderate the pressure.  If you watch two well socialized dogs
play, you will see lots of wrestling, lots of open mouth biting and growling,
but no one is hurt, just lots of shared drool <G>.  These are dogs who have
learned that bite inhibition allows play, bite too hard and the game ends.

Anne Copeland (Flash CGC, TDIA, 9 yrs. old, Berner; Gypsy CGC, TDI, 2 yrs.
old, Cavalier)
Northern Illinois   [EMAIL PROTECTED], Corr. Sec. BMDCA