Janice,

The way we have discouraged this is through a method we were encouraged to use by our obedeince trainer. If you can catch him in the act, pound on the counter and make much noise and yell as though the counter is bad, not the dog. The thought is to make the dog afraid of the counter. It worked with our guys, but this was before they had discovered the marvelous world of food that exists up there. They were just looking - hadn't managed to snag anything yet. Now they're both too lazy to jump up anyway, but when they were younger, they avoided the counters. Not sure it will work with yours since he's already been rewarded (abundantly) for his behavior, but worth a try... Just remember to focus your attack on the counter, not on him.

Andie Reid
Tugboat (*yawn*) and Steamboat (there's FOOD up there???)