Wim,

Henderickx, Wim (Wim) :
VXLAN has a dedicated UDP port and is very clear in the RFC7348

Well, having a port reserved for this use that won't be the default for another protocol is one thing, but that does not prevent in itself the same protocol to be applied on another range of ports. (Because HTTP specs says port 80 does not prevent the URI scheme to allow specifying the port in the URL)

Even reading the VXLAN (Informational) specs, we see room for flexibility wrt ports:

      -  Destination Port: IANA has assigned the value 4789 for the
         VXLAN UDP port, and this value SHOULD be used by default as the
         destination UDP port.  Some early implementations of VXLAN have
         used other values for the destination port.  To enable
         interoperability with these implementations, the destination
         port SHOULD be configurable.

I read "4789 SHOULD be used by default" and "SHOULD be configurable".

Will write something on what I proposed when I get some time, not soon

The co-chair in me needs to ask the following question: should this call for adoption be kept on hold until an outline of an alternative solution is provided ?

-Thomas