Hi Andrew,

Andrew G. Malis :
- There are some (many?) operators that won’t put drafts into an RFP, only RFCs.

My take on that is that if a known-stable specs is considered as something important to have, operators will put it in their RFPs (maybe not as a strict compliance requirement, but certainly as something having significant visibility). If they don't, it means that they simply aren't looking at new work and noy unlikely to ask anything that vendor arent' already implementing or seriously planning to implement.

- There are some (many?) vendors that won’t implement a draft or RFC, no matter how good the quality, unless they have a customer that wants the feature. That could be an existing customer that needs the feature operationally (which could lead to early implementation), or it could be a prospective customer with an RFP.

This can surely happen on a case by case basis, but in my experience I have seen a large number of mature and stable draft having multiple implementations before, sometimes long before, having the final 'RFC' stamp. People have learned to get the benefits of, and live with the drawbacks of, early implementations.

Remember we are not talking about gating the progress of specs not implemented yet by everyone, but of stable specs that noone has implemented yet.

- Vendors, of course, prioritize their implementation plans, and they usually put RFCs ahead of drafts, since drafts could change before publication, requiring a change in the implementation.

For all these reasons, unless there’s an existing customer that needs a draft’s features to fix an operational problem, it’s less common for vendors to implement drafts than RFCs.

With reference to these RFP/RFC considerations, I think we need to focus on developing the right tools to:
- keep this idea of 'raising the bar'
- find a way to advertise that a draft is stable enough to be implemented and referred to by operators

A better approach might be to do an implementation poll just prior to WG LC (including implementation plans). The WG can then take the results of the poll into consideration during WG LC to see if there’s a consensus to send it to the IESG. There could be a draft that everyone agrees is really important to get published, but for whatever reason hasn’t yet been implemented.

Not delaying the WG LC for lack-of-implementation reasons would certainly have the merit of allowing the WG to reach consensus on the stability of the specs and advertise this fact by other means that "this doc goes to IESG now". The "Waiting for implementation" state introduced by IDR (mentioned by John Scudder during BESS meeting) seems to be the right tool for the job.

And I agree we should allow chairs to propose skipping the "Waiting for implementation" step of a draft not having convincing implementation plans, if there is consensus in the WG to do so.

-Thomas