Alia Atlas has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bess-virtual-subnet-06: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-virtual-subnet/

DISCUSS:

Thank you for a clear and well-written document.  I have one point
that is peripheral to most of the draft.

In Section 4.3, it says:

 " In addition, for any other
   applications that generate intra-subnet traffic with TTL set to 1,
   these applications may not work properly in the Virtual Subnet
   context, unless special TTL processing for such context has been
   implemented (e.g., if the source and destination addresses of a
   packet whose TTL is set to 1 belong to the same extended subnet,
   neither ingress nor egress PE routers should decrement the TTL of
   such packet.  Furthermore, the TTL of such packet should not be
   copied into the TTL of the transport tunnel and vice versa)."

The idea of not decrementing TTL is quite concerning.  I can conjecture
cases where there is a routing loop between the relevant PEs - during
reconvergence when a host moves from one datacenter to another is
a trivial case.

One approach may be to ask why a packet would have a TTL of 1 and
determine if this case must be resolved.  Another might detecting a loop
back to an out-of-datacenter PE and dropping the packet.  I'm sure you
can
develop other good ideas and solutions.