Note that the BGP identifier is not guaranteed to be unique across ASes, only
within a single AS.

Regards,
Jakob.

From: BESS <bess-boun...@ietf.org> On Behalf Of Gyan Mishra
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2021 1:56 PM
To: Muthu Arul Mozhi Perumal <muthu.a...@gmail.com>
Cc: TULASI RAM REDDY <tulasiramire...@gmail.com>; bess@ietf.org; i...@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [bess] [Idr] Type 1 RD for Pure IPv6 network -- EVPN

Muthu

How does RFa. 6286 AS wide BGP identifier change the BGP path selection process
when all attributes are equal and ‘bestpath compare-routerid” is uses so the
valid/best path is deterministic and oldest versus newest default.

I believe the BGP Identifier just as with OSPF or ISIS does not have to be
routable, so in an IPv6 only network precluding RFC 6286 I believe could you
still use a 4 octet IP address as the router-id.

This question comes up a lot these days as operations migrate to some flavor of
IPv6 only core MPLS LDPv6, SR-MPLSv6, SRv6.

Thanks

Gyan
On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 5:45 AM Muthu Arul Mozhi Perumal