Hi Gyan,

Please see inline..
Regards,
Muthu

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 3:26 AM Gyan Mishra <hayabusa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Muthu
>
> How does RFa. 6286 AS wide BGP identifier change the BGP path selection
> process when all attributes are equal and ‘bestpath compare-routerid” is
> uses so the valid/best path is deterministic and oldest versus newest
> default.

The AS wide BGP identifier shouldn't change the BGP path selection process
in this case, since you compare by converting them to host byte order and
treating them as 4-octet unsigned integers as per RFC4271.

> I believe the BGP Identifier just as with OSPF or ISIS does not have to be
> routable, so in an IPv6 only network precluding RFC 6286 I believe could
> you still use a 4 octet IP address as the router-id.

Right. However, if we preclude RFC6286, then the BGP identifier needs to be
a valid unicast host IPv4 address (for e.g. can't be a multicast address):

<snip RFC4271>
   Syntactic correctness means that the BGP Identifier field represents
   a valid unicast IP host address.
</snip>