Hi Vinayak,

The Bump-in-the-wire with a VLAN-aware BD is just slightly implied in the
terminlogy section of RFC9136.

It is not mentioned in the main body of RFC9136.

So a few critical details are still absent, while there may be already
different implementations up to now,

I think these implementations will not be considered as RFC violation.

If we want to use VLAN-aware BD in Bump-in-the-wire use case,

Technically the following rules should be followed:

1) the Ethernet Tag ID of the IP prefix route must be encapsulated into the
VLAN-ID of the inner ethernet header in the data plane.

    But it doesn't mean that the Ethernet Tag ID should be used in the IP
lookup,

    but other EVPN route's Ethernet Tag ID will all be used to do MAC/Multicast
lookup.

    So I think the Ethernet Tag ID can't be considered as consistency with the
rest of the EVPN service routes up to now.

2) The Ethernet Tag ID of the IP prefix route must be used to select the
corresponding RT-1 route which is advertised along with a L2 EVI label.

    The MPLS label of the RT-1 route is a L2 EVI label,

    and that's why the Ethernet Tag ID must be encapsulated into the inner
ethernet header.

3) The IP prefix route must be advertised along with a non-zero supplementary
(to the ESI) overlay index

    If we don't do this, we don't know how to select the corresponding RT-1
route for that IP prefix route,

    Because that the RT-1 per EVI routes of the Bump-in-the-wire use case are
totally advertised in the context of a VLAN-aware BD.

    Actually, these RT-1 per EVI routes will be the same RT-1 per EVI routes
which are used by the MAC-forwarding of that VLAN-aware BD.

    But whether the supplementary overlay index is the Ethernet Tag ID,

    it is not explicitly described in RFC9136.

    However, in RFC9136 section 3, the Ethernet Tag ID is excluded from the
construction of "Overlay Index".

    Although in other EVPN service (e.g. EVPN MAC forwarding),

    the Ethernet Tag ID is considered to be part of the "overlay index" for
MAC/Multicast forwarding.

4) The MAC address of the IRB interface of that VLAN-aware BD should be
encapsulated as the source MAC of the inner ethernet header in the data plane.

Other details are not explicitly described in RFC9136 (even that whether such
RT-5 route is advertised in the context of the VLAN-aware BD is not explicitly
described)

 and can't be inferred from the scenario of VLAN-agnostic BDs either,

so I think different existing implementations may have different choices.

But the non-zero ethernet Tag ID can't be simply ignored,

it can be ignored in a few procedures, but not all procedures.

But in RFC9136's section 3, It seems that the ethernet Tag ID is not cosidered
as a part of overlay index,

That's why I am not sure how the recursive route resolution would be done,

I think different existing implementations may have different choices too. For
example:

Some implementations may consider that these RT-5 routes don't need to be
recursively resolved in the context of the IP-VRF,

because that in control plane these RT-5 routes are just imported into the BD,
not imported into the IP-VRF,

and from the BD, they can be directly installed into the IP-VRF just when the
control plane procedures are about to be finished.

So the recursive route resolution can be totally done in the context of the BD
technically.

Regards,

Yubao

原始邮件