seanadams Wrote:
> It's not easy to provide useful data here because during normal
> operation we only measure the transfer speed, not link capacity. That's
> not too useful because it's just going to tell you the bit-rate of
> whatever you're playing.
I had figured link capacity would be not likely, but am not sure I
follow your reasoning about transfer vs. bit rate.  Aren't the two
separate because of the buffer.  In other words, isn't (or shouldn't)
10 seconds of 192kbps music be transferred to SB[23] faster than it is
played?  If so, then wouldn't a little timer math give you true
transfer speed and not playback speed?

> Statistics about packet retransmission rates and such are not available
> to the server because they happen in the OS kernel.
> Yes, understood.

> We'd need to add some other machinery eg a TCP througput test or ping
> test which the user would initiate.
This was actually another suggestion I was going to ask about.  It
might be a very nice diagnostic tool to separate out the server and its
operations from just network data xfer to the device.  It seems the vast
majority of user problems with dropouts are due to network problems.

--
MrC