One other thing I noticed in your init script:

The usage of --prefsfile and --prefsdir is kind of confusing in SC7.
As I understand it, --prefsdir specifies the prefs directory and there
is no way to change the name of the actual file (server.prefs).
--prefsdir is used to specify a location to look for old prefs to
migrate.

In the RPM, I start the daemon with
--prefsdir=/var/lib/squeezecenter/prefs and omit --prefsfile.
--prefsfile seems to default to /etc/slimserver which is what we want
to migrate old settings.  I'm not sure if the DEB init script as-is
will break anything, but it may break prefs migration or it may use the
default --prefsdir instead of what you expect.  In any case, you may
want to change it to use --prefsdir for readability.

--
Fletch