>I think ALBUMARTIST isn't even a standard tag, but an iTunes thing.
Not an iTunes thing - they use BAND I believe.  iTunes is particularly poor in
that if you do have an album artist or band tag, it doesn't display it as the
artist in the artist list.

>ALBUMARTIST is imho mapped to BAND, as does eg. mp3tag as well.
mp3tag is my main tag editor.  The author did change a recent developer build
(v2.39h) to make TPE2 map to ALBUMARTIST.  However, this change was reverted a
couple of days later (v2.39i).  ALBUMARTIST is a TXXX frame.  They are two
different things.

However, most software maps considers BAND to be the album artist for grouping
and display, rather than a contributing band.

MediaMonkey, Winamp and Microsoft (Explorer in Vista and WMP) has also decided
that TPE1 is for contributing artists, and that TPE2 is for the artist who
released the album (not a contributing artist).

If the Album Artist column is displayed instead of Artists in Windows Explorer,
it gets populated by TPE1 in the Explorer window if TPE2 is missing or blank.

Phil