>Really?  In cases like this I do it the other way around.  I would
>never want "Page and Plant" to appear in the "Browse Artists" list,
>only "Robert Plant" and "Jimmy Page".  And I would want this album to
>appear under *both*.  To achieve this, I tag as follows:

I think you've reminded me of the difference in usage that SqueezeCenter makes
between TXXX ALBUMARTIST and TPE2 BAND tags.

I've found some instances where I have used BAND.  For example, Paul Simon and
Art Garfunkel are widely renowned as "Simon & Garfunkel".  I tag their work
with:

ARTIST=Paul Simon
ARTIST=Art Garfunkel
BAND=Simon & Garfunkel

All three appear in the album list.

I could also add ALBUMARTIST="Simon & Garfunkel", and therefore I would only
see this name in the artists list.  (Actually, I would also see Paul Simon, as
I have an album by that specific artist, and if I browsed to Paul Simon, I
would see all "Simon & Garfunkel" albums under that artist too).

For me, I use BAND purely as another contributor, and would not want it to work
as ALBUMARTIST, as that would then cause Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel to
disappear from the browse artist list.  It would also be going against the ID3
tagging standards, which say that BAND is a contributor, not ALBUMARTIST.  Due
to there being no standard tag for ALBUMARTIST, some software packages have
borrowed BAND for this purpose, but that is non-standard.

The setting "List albums by band" I think is broken.  Having changed the option
from "List albums by band" to "List albums by all artists for that album",
there was no effect.  I rescanned and still there was no difference in how my
music library had interpretted the tags.  I think the intention of this setting
is "Treat band as album artist?", and thus should be a checkbox.

I actually want it to not treat BAND as album artist, as I want to use the
flexibility already in place, where ALBUMARTIST and BAND are used for different
purposes (I can add an ALBUMARTIST tag when I want songs reported only by album
artist, and I can add BAND tags as aliases for the group of artists
independently).

So, to sumarise:

ALBUMARTIST is a way of grouping songs on an album to appear under a specific
artist name.  This can be used to avoid the album being considered a
compilation/various artists album, instead it lists the album as being only by
the specified ALBUMARTIST tag.

BAND is just another contributor on the song, treated exactly the same as
COMPOSER and CONDUCTOR contributor tags.

I believe that if an ALBUMARTIST tag has been entered for songs on an album,
this takes precidence over the setting of "List albums by all artists for that
album/List albums by band" - the album would always be listed only under the
ALBUMARTIST.

Suggested Changes:

SqueezeCenter is not treating the band tag as an album artist tag if "List
albums by band" is selected.

The radio button "List albums by all artists for that album/List albums by
band" should be changed to a checkbox option "Treat band as album artist".

I think these suggestions have already been raised as bug reports.

Phil