>> The problem is: There is no way these things get announced.
>
> Any developer should subscribe to the checkins mailing list.

Far too true.  Everything goes there, and folks get soundly razzed if
the comments are crap, plus any that link to bugs get linked and have
comments in the bug. Putting the same info into wiki, announcements,
forwards, stickies, release notes and repeat every week or so to catch
everyone up very quickly runs into no time to actually write code and
fix bugs.  There is limited time for everyone, no matter how much they
get paid (or stay up nights).

The checkins can be overwhelming especially when the pace has been
going so full on as it has been for a long time now.  I would suggest
signing up anyway, just to give it a go.  You can filter later based
on subject, say anything that's HTML or in the Slim/Web modules.
Perhaps Slim/Control if you use the cli for any of the js interfaces.
That should give you a bit better focus for anything you might need to
check up on later. Often is just takes a glance to notice that
something affecting you has changed, and you can take a longer look on
ly when you have to.

Backward compatibility is a big deal, and it is always a top concern.
As odd as it may seem, backward compatibility also applies when
looking forward.  It is important to make the changes during beta when
people have been warned that some changes will come.  It is always
much harder once an official release is out.  This is part of the
reason that 7 is so long in the making.  It does break things from
6.5, and it needed lots of time for gathering feedback.

-kdf