> Sure. Still quite a newbie so from where do I activate this logging and
> where do I look for the output?

Settings/Advanced/Logging. There's a link to the file at the top of that
page.

> I have a 6x version here now and it has

Don't use 6.x for development. I'd rather concentrate on SC7, as there
will be no further development/bug fixing beyond 6.5.5.

> btw: Seems I have found a project that finally forces me to teach
> myself SQL. Are there any information available on how to query the
> database directly (bypassing the CLI)?

There's been some talk in these forums. Best search for mysql and schema
over at the development forum.

> My database is still quite
> small, but as it grows, it seems using the CLI to query on each startup
> will not be optimal

Depends on the design of your application. Squeezebox Controller shows
that the CLI is very efficient for this kind of task. Just don't grab the
full DB when you start your appliction (data will be stale sooner or
later), but only request what you need.

Michael