> That's sort of the point: they shouldn't be.  Neither can people logged
> into my properly setup XP PC as users.  If you are "properly" running
> Squeezecenter as a System Service it should not have its config files
> somewhere where anyone logged in can bork them up.  I think it's fine
> that the new Squeezecenter can be run as an insecure app for Joe
> sixpack (if his botnet PC has enough CPU cycles left ;-) ).

As I mentioned in my previous posting we had to find a trade-off. If we put the
data in a protected place, support (or these forums) would be overwhelmed by
users calling why they're loosing their configuration when switching from
service to app mode (and vice-versa).

If you care about SC's data then it should be easy enough for you to get the
permissions right or configure the service to use different folders.

> It is disappoiting SqueezeCenter seems to be moving
> away from that paradigm; on Windows at least.

Feel free to add the prefsdir argument to your service's configuration.

--

Michael