>The automatic mode would be useful for me
>setting up playlists so I could do something advanced like insert a
>song next - not usually something that I do at a party but useful in
>day-to-day activities.

You don't need playlist/party mode mode for that.  The standard behaviour of
pressing add is to add to the end of the playlist, and a longer press of add
will queue it as the next song (after the currently playing song).

Automatically changing to playlist mode just changes the functionality of the
play button to do what the add button already allows you to do.