firedog;427612 Wrote:
> quote:
>
> "May I ask why you're converting from Flac to WAV? "
>
> answer:
> 1. a)Some anecdotal evidence that although wav and flac files are
> identical,there may be some audible jitter introduced during the actual
> "on the fly" uncompression and playback of flac, that isn't seen in the
> file when you just compress/uncompress the files and compare the files
> as a test. I got this idea from some people with good ears, lots of
> experience, and very high end digital playback/stereo equipment.
>
> Please don't start an argument about this, I'm not challenging the fact
> that the files themselves are identical. This doesn't exclude the idea
> that actual wav playback may be superior.
>
> b) I have the HD space, so why not? In general, I'm in favor of the
> least manipulation of the files as necessary in order to play them
> back.
>
> c)wav is more convenient to use if you want to do other things with
> your library, such as convert it to other formats such as mp3, or edit
> it. Having files in wav just eliminates an intermediate step sometimes
> in these cases.
>
> d)The big reason I didn't use wav before was the tagging issue.

WAV is NOT superior. It's been tested to death (including by me).
Streaming WAV vs. FLAC makes no difference at all. None. This can be
measured. It has been measured. I'm not talking about the mathematical
identity here, I'm talking about the fact that they sound the same. Any
anecdotal evidence to the contrary is self-delusional twaddle.

WAV is not more convenient for editing. Audacity edits FLAC just fine.
I have about 8 packages that can convert FLAC to anything.

WAV is a waste of disk space and network bandwidth. It has a
rudimentary tagging method and moreover it has no standard wrapper for
hi-rez (>redbook).

There is no case for WAV in the context of a discussion around SC.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB3 (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Outdoors: Boom