Phil Leigh;427685 Wrote:
> WAV is NOT superior. It's been tested to death (including by me).
> Streaming WAV vs. FLAC makes no difference at all. None. This can be
> measured. It has been measured. I'm not talking about the mathematical
> identity here, I'm talking about the fact that they sound the same. Any
> anecdotal evidence to the contrary is self-delusional twaddle.
>
> WAV is not more convenient for editing. Audacity edits FLAC just fine.
> I have about 8 packages that can convert FLAC to anything.
>
> WAV is a waste of disk space and network bandwidth. It has a
> rudimentary tagging method and moreover it has no standard wrapper for
> hi-rez (>redbook).
>
> There is no case for WAV in the context of a discussion around SC.

Phil-
Why do you feel compelled to be so argumentative and
absolutist/bordering on nasty in your posts? Did it ever occur to you
that others don't have the same personal preferences as you? That
doesn't make them "wrong".

As regards to the detail of your posts:

1)It actually can't be measured that they sound the same. There are
wildly varying results on research about how much jitter people can
hear. Some investigations put it a very low amounts. It can only be
measured that the final output is the same.
I know that the files are mathematically the same, but that still
doesn't preclude the possibility that the algorithmic decompression of
flac and its conversion involves additional jitter - jitter can be
introduced in the stream that is converted to analogue from  sources
other than the bits in the file itself. If you don't know about this
then you don't know what jitter is.

If you have "proof" of the opposite - where is it? And BTW, read what I
actually wrote, and don't send me "proof" that the two types of files
are mathematically identical.

2)Never said WAV was superior.

3) Never said flac couldn't be edited

4)"waste of disk space and bandwidth" - whose? How does my use of Wav
affect you? Why do you feel it is even necessary to make such a comment?

By the way, among all my friends and aquaintances I'm the only one who
uses FLAC. Most of them don't even have a software player/hardware
player with a plugin for it. If you actually engaged the world outside
of your head you might realize how limited the use of flac is. Not
everyone is an audio/computer hobbyist. Some people just want to listen
to music and don't want to bother with any technical issues.

So sometimes I find it inconvenient to have everything encoded in a
format that no one I interact with uses. Conversions from FLAC also take
longer that conversions directly from WAV to other formats.

I'm sorry if my reasons, "make no case" for discussing WAV - TO YOU.
Why, just b/c I propose doing something YOU think makes no sense do you
feel the need to attack?

But the way you feel compelled to respond shows more about you than
anything you write convinces about the supposedly "factual" case you
make. Get a life - or some counseling.

--
firedog