Triode;429594 Wrote:

> Can you describe when you think a normal user you would not like to
> download and install the latest version automatically?  I can see a
> developer wanting more control, but I was trying to find the simplest
> set of options for normal users.

When they have a perfectly working system and just want to restart the
computer 5 minutes before the party. The result is that it downloads a
new version of a plugin they need during the party and the new version
doesn't work in their setup for some reason. There is no way to
downgrade to the previous plugin version through Extension Downloader so
there is no easy way out of the situation.

I like the Ubuntu way of handling upgrades where it notifies me but
don't install them automatically. This way I can choose to not install
them when I know it's critical that the computer works during the next
hours.

I've personally released plugin versions that didn't work by accident
and I'm sure most other third party plugin developers has done the same.
It happens and sometimes you don't have the time to correct it
immediately.

--
erland

Erland Isaksson
'My homepage' (http://erland.isaksson.info) (Install my plugins through
Extension Downloader)
Custom Scan,  Custom Skip, Multi Library, Title Switcher and Database
Query plugins'
(http://wiki.erland.isaksson.info/index.php/Category:SlimServer))