I agree with Erland, any automatically applied updates smacks of
Microshot.
The amount of times I've come to a system and found that something no
longer works due to some silly update applied without my knowledge, just
when you needed it to work...

Also for the versions being displayed how else are we to support plugin
devs and let them know what versions of stuff we are using.

My view of plugins would be:

Repository informational header (i.e a title from the repository url)
All the plugins form that url:
plugin name | ver install | ver available | description | url to info
re plugin | rating

The rating allows for some kind of interaction/voting by user.
There could also be some sort of flag to display stability/test status
of a plugin.  This would help maintain the distinction between an
unstable plugin and Squeezecenter being unstable.

The rating could be applied to the list of repositories on web but I do
think there needs to be some sort of measure.

Just some ideas that came to me as I thought about this from a users
perspective.

Cheers
Gary

--
BodgeIT

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, either way you are
right!
*DC: 7.4 - 26846* on *WHS SP2*(VMWare 1.8 Device(No Sound Card))
Slimp3(FW 2.3), Receiver(FW 61) & Controller(7.4 r5580).