I tried to do the same yesterday, and got a completely different count
(artists=771).  But, having looked at your SQL, I realise that I forgot to
include Composer and Band roles.

SELECT c.name
FROM contributors c
LEFT JOIN contributor_album ca ON ca.contributor = c.id
LEFT JOIN albums a ON a.id = ca.album
WHERE (((a.compilation IS NULL OR a.compilation = 0) AND ca.role IN (1,2,4,5)))
GROUP BY c.id
ORDER BY c.namesort;

So I ran the same query on both MySQL and SQLite DBs.

I see two reasons for the differences:

1. SQLite seems to be reporting some artists with non-standard ASCII characters
twice, eg. "Amon Duul II" as well as "Amon Düül II" (should only contain "Amon
Düül II").

2. SQLite not including some Composers in the list.  At first glance, this
could be from WMA file types only - need to check further.