Philip Meyer;480201 Wrote:
> >Hmm, I wonder what will cause most frustration, albums that appear in
> >wrong place in the library due to duplicate tagging formats in files
> or
> >users accidentally removing all tags from their files when trying to
> fix
> >them.
> >
> It's probably additive frustration.  Frustration the first time that an
> existing user finds that their perfectly working library no longer gets
> displayed correctly, then more frustration when they have to find all
> iffy files, then frustration when they try to find a safe way to edit
> them ;-)

oh, but there's no frustration at having a perfectly working library in
other apps not show up in SBS?

and funny that you consider a library to be "perfect" when it has id3
tags in the FLAC files that the user doesn't even know about or that
aren't congruent with the other tags in that file.

Philip Meyer;480201 Wrote:

> >By the way, if we really want to keep this solution where tag values
> >are read from several tagging formats, shouldn't there at least be a
> >priority order so it primarily uses the tagging format that is mostly
> >used for each file format ? ID3v2 for MP3, Vorbis for FLAC...
> Yes.
>
> There's no way that id3v2 should override FLAC tags for a flac file.
>
> I guess there always used to be a priority order; the only thing that
> has changed is that missing tags are treated as if they are holes,
> causing other tags with lower priority to be read through the holes.
>
> I guess a tag that is set as blank, is treated as a blank tag, which is
> not the same as "tag no present".  Some tag editors seem to set a tag
> value to blank, rather than delete the tag when it is set to blank.  I
> can also imagine some users entering a space in a tag, and thinking it's
> blank.

there still is a priority order.  the difference apparently now is that
id3v2 always is the last thing read and trumps everything else.

i do not know if you could specify a differing priority order per file
type in the scanner, but if you could i would certainly support it,
makes a lot of sense.

having said that, i still support the general idea of using "lower" tag
info (for artist, title) if its filled out when higher tag info is not
but the tag is otherwise present.  if you don't do so, then any such
music will be missing from SBS.

--
MrSinatra

www.lion-radio.org
using:
sb2 & sbc (my home) / sbr (parent's home) - sbs 7.4.2b - win xp pro sp3
ie8 - p4(ht) 3.2ghz / 2gig ram - 1tb wd usb2 raid1 - d-link dir-655 -
35k mp3