For once, I agree with MrSinatra!

I generally dislike auto-detect changes in apps; if every app I have running
did it, my HD would be doing nothing but churn all the time.

I prefer to scan when I know I'm not using the machine for anything else.
I have an ordered sequence for ripping CDs.  I scan to detect set of new albums
after I have ripped, tagged, applied replaygain, added artwork, analysed in
MusicIP, etc.

If it auto-detected changes whilst doing those activities, it's likely artwork
would be missed (long-standing SBS bugs with detecting artwork file changes);
it might not detect MusicIP mixable status, or at least could end up
scanning/requesting MusicIP several times until the status is present.

There's loads of things that could end up in bad states/non-deteministic
results based on order of scanning files.  eg. if it only sees a few files for
a new album, it might consider it not a compilation album, and then as more
files are detected and the scanner is re-run, the album may now be a
compilation.  At best, its less efficient.  It could result in incorrect music
library content though.  If a new album is scanned all in one pass, it's
perhaps more likely to work cleanly.

It's certainly more efficient to scan in one go, rather than frequently
detecting changes and rescanning continuously in the background.  I'm not sure
how that works with SQLite anyway (scanner locks DB - needs to be unlocked to
allow scan + playback?).

Auto-scan once at startup is bad enough.

On the other hand, MusicIP GUI auto-scan works pretty well.  But then again,
MusicIP server doesn't auto-scan (manual rescan via webUI only).