I'm actually quite satisfied with the overall performance, both scanning
and browsing/playing, with 7.8.0. but I'm probably not in the mainstream
use case. I never use BMF (that I know of, not sure how Orange Squeeze
queries the DB) and routinely throw 5,000 tracks into my playlist using
the Playlist Generator plugin (so awesome!). I use the web UI for almost
all browsing/music selection and whatever is most convenient at the time
for player control (mostly pause or skip). I generally have a wired SB3
and wireless Boom synced playing FLACs. Library is fairly large: 300K+
2/3 of which are FLAC.

So many interesting ideas in this thread. I'm always encouraged by the
level of activity in this forum and the prospects that the SB ecosystem
will continue to thrive long past the neglectful custodianship provided
by Logitech.

So....

There's one fairly important piece of information I'd love to see in the
web UI: the total duration of the current playlist.

Often I just throw way more than we will listen to in the course of an
evening, but it would be nice to tailor a list to a specific time frame,
like a party that will last 4-6 hours, with music appropriate to the
"phase" (something acoustic during drinks/arrival, switching to more
upbeat to dance to before dinner, softer through dinner and then into
full party mode before winding down). I've created such lists by adding
up track times in Excel as I put them together, but it would be so much
easier to see the total playing time get updated as I added songs.

Win7Pro(x64)[3.3Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD system, 15TB storage], LMS
7.7.3 -> Logitech Squeezebox Classic V.3 -> Cambridge Audio DacMagic ->
NAD C160 -> 2 x NAD C272 -> Quad 22L2