That works pretty well. The main problem it has is that it doesn't
remember the previous browse pane width.

That should be fixed.

Ideally, I think you'd have some kind of vertical bar on the side when
the playlist is minimized, with text (turned 90 degrees) or something
indicating that the playlist is underneat. Also, perhaps some kind of
arrow or other indicator when you mouseover the slider hotspot. Adding a
vertical bar may require rethinking the nested curved corners a little
bit. I've always thought that the outer one was unnecessary and just
wastes screen real estate.

The framework we're using in the web UI (ExtJS) does provide all of this. But yes, it would still require some more work to set it all up nicely.

I like this change a lot, but something I think others might dislike is
having the Now Playing and player controls hidden by it. The solution to
that could be to have Now Playing in an area outside of what slides
left/right. Maybe a horizontal pane that goes the whole way across the
screen, either on the top or bottom. I realize, though, that this would
be a lot more work.

TBH: I would have loved a new skin with a totally new approach a lot. Away from the old page oriented layout with the two frames etc. But there's only so much time... Ext4Gui does cover some of the ideas I'd like to see some time.

--

Michael