>I disagree. I do not consider 'Various Artists' a valid option far ANY
>tag; artist, albumartist or other tag.
>I would not want to see 'Various Artists' in the 'All Artists' OR 'Album
>Artists' browsing modes. I only want to see 'Various Artists' in the
>compilation browsing mode...

It is just a name, and should be treated the same as any other name.

I have actually tagged all songs on an album as being performed by "Various
Artists" and not be a compilation album.  This is a tribute album, where every
song is performed by the same set of artists; there is no band name offered on
the album sleeve, it's just performed by the collective group of artists,
labelled as various artists.

The artists lists should not have any special logic to ignore artist names if
they are compilation, or anything else like that, just a list of artist names.
There's no need to provide a special "Various Artists" entry representing all
compilation albums irrespective of the actual album artist names.  Just display
the list of artist names that the user has entered on their tags.

So I would expect to see "Various Artists", as that is a valid name of an album
artist for me.  I would only expect to see it sorted under "V" and not at the
top of the artist list.