>ALBUM ARTISTS[/B] - CONTAINS ALL ARTISTS THAT HAVE RELEASED AN ALBUM
>UNDER THEIR NAME
Yes

>*ARTISTS* - CONTAINS ALL ARTISTS THAT HAVE BEEN THE MAIN ARTIST ON A
>TRACK ON ANY ALBUM
Well, I would also include album artists.  All artists, is just a list of all
artists that are in the music library.  It's the one place you can go and be
confident that an artist will be found.  They are not mutually exclusive lists;
I would say that Album Artists is a subset of All Artists.

It is perhaps often the case that the album artist is also a track artist for
at least one song, but sometimes the album artist might be an alias, or
collective name.  e.g. "Page & Plant" as the album artist, and "Jimmy Page",
"Robert Plant" for the artists that perform on the songs.

What about "No Artist" - where songs are missing an artist tag.  I think this
should be represented in the list.  It used to be in Various Artists > No Artist

What about artists that only appear on songs not on an album - the "No Album"
special case?  I assume they would be listed within All Artists, with each
artist having a "No Album", but not in Album Artists.

I see that "No Album" still exists as a compilation album, listing all songs
that are not tied to an album.  I have 2351 songs in this "No Album" album.

>I still feel that it's pointless to have a *Artists/Various Artists* men
>because the purpose of the b]Artists* menu is to find a track, not an
>album, if you want to find an album you would use the *Album Artists*
>menu.

I disagree, and what special logic would you use to identify entries to not
include in the list?  If it's just a list of artist names that have been
provided from the scanner, how do you guess that "Various Artists" should not
be displayed in the list?  Does it really matter anyway - I have 4166 artists
in my exploded artists list, if one of these is "Various Artists" sorted under
"V", it's not really noticeable in the grand scheme of things.

In my case I actually have songs that have "Various Artists" as a track artist
name - too many performers to indvidually tag against the song.

>There is obviously many different opinions here, if we want Michael to
>implement something when he is back after the weekend we probably need
>to find a way which we can use to get an agreement. Any thoughts how to
>best do this ?

Try to list the outstanding differences of opinion as a series of questions?
Could a wiki page be a better collaborative way of designing what we want, with
a summary then provided here?