When registering a notification callback for a particular player
($client), e.g.
Code:
     Slim::Control::Request::subscribe( \&commandCallback, [['power', 'play',
'playlist', 'pause', 'mixer']], $client);
  is it expected/intended that the callback should also be invoked for
other players that are synched with that player?

I don't think it is. But I'm not too familiar with that code. If you check the client in your callback, would it be called for _all_ synched players or only ever one, but not always the one to be expected?