> On Apr 4, 2016, at 7:10, Adam R. Maxwell <amaxw...@me.com> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 3, 2016, at 15:26 , Adam R. Maxwell <amaxw...@me.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sometimes it's a zombie FVWebViewIcon, sometimes it's one of its ivars
>> (NSCountedSet or NSConditionLock), depending on what I tweak. If I bump the
>> min number of webviews up to 50, it also doesn't crash.
>
> I'm starting to wonder if this is a bug in WebKit. When I override
> -[FVWebViewIcon release], I notice I'm being released by
>
> WebDocumentLoaderMac::decreaseLoadCount
>
> http://opensource.apple.com/source/WebKit/WebKit-6531.9/mac/WebView/WebDocumentLoaderMac.mm
>
> (no idea if this is current source).
>
> It appears that WebKit does some retain/release on its delegates, and maybe
> it's getting out of sync when ATS blocks the non-https load requests? I
> haven't tried overriding the Info.plist setting that allows non-secure loads.
> Anyway, the refcount goes to zero and the icon is dealloced in the operation
> start function, so the next time the view tries to draw, it's garbage.
>
> If I do this
>
>        [_webView setFrameLoadDelegate:self];
>        [self retain];
>
> The crash goes away, but it's obviously wrong. If I can figure out how to use
> the new Instruments, maybe that will help figure out what's going on. I miss
> MallocDebug and Shark, and OmniObjectMeter seems to be broken.
>
> Adam

I’ve long suspected some bug in WebKit, because the crashes never made sense
(even with the super dealloc). But I really have no idea.

I wonder if it would make sense, perhaps as a workaround, to retain the icon
while it’s working with the web view, and releasing itself when it’s done. But
I’m not sure where that would be, and if it would not be hanging around too
long with such an arrangement.

Christiaan