> On Apr 4, 2016, at 16:38, Adam R. Maxwell <amaxw...@me.com> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 4, 2016, at 03:24 , Christiaan Hofman <cmhof...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:cmhof...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I wonder if it would make sense, perhaps as a workaround, to retain the icon
>> while it’s working with the web view, and releasing itself when it’s done.
>> But I’m not sure where that would be, and if it would not be hanging around
>> too long with such an arrangement.
>
> I guess I can try to reproduce it with a trivial project, which Apple would
> want for a bug report (though I've given up on filing those). There's an
> extra refcount decrement coming from something, so releasing self might also
> trigger it :(. As an emergency fix, I guess just making dealloc a no-op would
> do it; that's a relatively minor leak, assuming -releaseResources gets sent.

So this is really an over-release, not balanced with a retain?

Perhaps there could be separate controller objects for the web views, which
stay around (having trivial retain, release,  etc), being reused when they
become available. So there will be at most FVWebIconMaximumNumberOfWebViews of
those, not just at one time but over the whole run. That would give an upper
bound to the leak. They could perhaps also keep their respective web views,
which would give some speed improvement, but at the cost of memory and perhaps
interference between icons.

> The bug seemed to happen even before Apple disabled non-https loads, so maybe
> it's something that happens with any failed load. ISTR it started on 10.8 or
> so?
>
> Adam

It started giving problems on 10.9, at least I disabled the web icons for that
version.

Christiaan