On Jul 30, 2007, at 19:00, Jung-Tsung Shen wrote:

>>> Here's a sample data that refused to be dragged:
>>> *****************************
>>>
>>> @article{auff\`{e}ves-garnier:053823,
>>
>> This cite key is not valid; you need to remove the \'{} characters.
>> Even if those characters were allowed, the \` should be inside the
>> braces for BibTeX.
>>

> Adam, isn't it the most easiest if BibDesk temporarily allows the
> addition, and then the user manually modifies the entry? It might be
> useful in this case that BibDesk performs the check *when* it comes to
> save, but not at the point of addition ... Otherwise, the addition of
> such entry becomes quite unnecessarily multi-stepped ...

Not possible.  We use a regular expression to determine the type of
text (BibTeX, RIS, Refer, JSTOR, ISI, MARC, XML...) when pasting or
dragging.  If it has syntax errors in the cite key or type, we don't
recognize it as BibTeX.  If you save it in a .bib file using a text
editor, you can open it with BibDesk (which will then tell you there's
a syntax error and the file can't be read).  So the problem isn't with
saving, it's the impossibility of interpreting it as BibTeX.

--
Adam