On 23 Aug 2007, at 9:59 PM, Chris Goedde wrote:

> On Aug 23, 2007, at 2:40 PM, Christiaan Hofman wrote:
>

>> On 23 Aug 2007, at 9:26 PM, Chris Goedde wrote:
>>> I don't quite understand this. If I select all the items in the
>>> external file group, how do I merge them? There's no "merge"
>>> contextual menu item.
>>>
>>> Chris
>>
>> There is one (even 3) in the Database menu.
>>
>> In tomorrows nightly the bugs will be fixed.
>
> Thanks.
>
> So I did this, and Bibdesk imported all of them, duplicates and all.
> (I guess I'm not sure what you meant when you said merging the
> external group in would "ignore duplicates".) So now I have 252
> duplicates in my Bibdesk file. (Well, I guess 126 duplicates.) The
> question is, how do I delete the duplicates? Going through them one
> at a time and hitting "Delete" isn't very attractive. Is there some
> way to tell Bibdesk to only keep one record of each cite key?
>
> Alternatively, how do I actually merge bib files without creating
> lots of duplicates?
>
> Or to turn the question around, since the external file only had 127
> records, there is really only 1 non-duplicate. How can I easily
> indentify it?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Chris

Probably the duplicates are not really duplicates, in that there is
some difference. We check whether the standard fields (required,
optional, or default fields) are the same to check for duplicates. We
don't check the cite key. So it may also depend on how far they
differ. Does checking for duplicates tell you anything?

There is no easy way to keep only one item if there is no clear way
to know when they are equivalent. Somewhere you'll have to make the
decision *which* item to delete, an automatic process could never do
that without being arbitrary.