On 24 Aug 2007, at 9:41 PM, Chris Goedde wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2007, at 2:16 PM, Goldstein, Adam wrote:
>
>> Are the records identified as identical if you drag-and-drop them
>> into the same bib file, if you use the "select duplicates" function
>> from the menus? This also might narrow down the source of the
>> problem---is it in the external file merging or not?
>
> I'm calling the MacArthur Foundation and nominating Adam Goldstein
> for a "genius" award!
>
> The answer is very simple. I'm not sure if it reveals a bug/
> misfeature in bibdesk or not.
>
> In preparation for the merge, I did as Adam Maxwell suggested and
> created a bibtex field (that I called "Category") in the bibdesk
> preferences, and clicked the "Is Default" button. I then filled this
> in for every record in one of the bib files, but forgot to do it in
> the second. Bibdesk thought the records were different because one
> had and empty "Category" field and one did not.
>
> There's one thing I don't understand, which is why Christiaan didn't
> have the same problem I did when merging. Does bibdesk just ignore
> added fields if they aren't defined in the preferences? That seems
> wrong to me.
>
> Also, this seems like a problem for my merging process. If I'm
> merging file foo.bib and file bar.bib, and I assign all the records
> in file foo the Category Foo and all the records in file bar the
> Category Bar, I want some way to manage the merge so that I don't get
> tons of duplicates. In other words, I _want_ bibdesk to identify two
> records as duplicates if they are identical except for this field. Is
> there a way to accomplish that? Alternatively, is there a way to tell
> the merge process precisely how to identify duplicates (i.e. by cite
> key only)?
>
> Chris

The reason is very simple: I don't have Category as a default field,
so on my side this field is ignored for comparison for equivalence,
while with your settings the category field is compared because it is
a default field. As I mentioned in an earlier mail, BibDesk compares
required, optional *and* default fields to determine equivalence.

If you don't want the Category field to be taken into account you
should not include it as a default field. You can still add the
Category field or set it by adding it to a field group by drag&drop.
You can also temporarily disable the default status when merging.