On Aug 24, 2007, at 2:16 PM, Goldstein, Adam wrote:

> Are the records identified as identical if you drag-and-drop them
> into the same bib file, if you use the "select duplicates" function
> from the menus? This also might narrow down the source of the
> problem---is it in the external file merging or not?

I'm calling the MacArthur Foundation and nominating Adam Goldstein
for a "genius" award!

The answer is very simple. I'm not sure if it reveals a bug/
misfeature in bibdesk or not.

In preparation for the merge, I did as Adam Maxwell suggested and
created a bibtex field (that I called "Category") in the bibdesk
preferences, and clicked the "Is Default" button. I then filled this
in for every record in one of the bib files, but forgot to do it in
the second. Bibdesk thought the records were different because one
had and empty "Category" field and one did not.

There's one thing I don't understand, which is why Christiaan didn't
have the same problem I did when merging. Does bibdesk just ignore
added fields if they aren't defined in the preferences? That seems
wrong to me.

Also, this seems like a problem for my merging process. If I'm
merging file foo.bib and file bar.bib, and I assign all the records
in file foo the Category Foo and all the records in file bar the
Category Bar, I want some way to manage the merge so that I don't get
tons of duplicates. In other words, I _want_ bibdesk to identify two
records as duplicates if they are identical except for this field. Is
there a way to accomplish that? Alternatively, is there a way to tell
the merge process precisely how to identify duplicates (i.e. by cite
key only)?

Chris