I think Christiaan was referring to suggestion #1 (recreate
hierarchy) rather than #2 (archive folders properly). It seems to me
that #2 is necessary. As far as #1 goes, there are two options I can
see:

A. Recreate hierarchy from common parent. The argument for recreating
hierarchy is that it covers all cases well. If someone's scattered
PDFs all over their hard drive, this will add a few more layers of
folders, but take no more space. If they've put their .bib file in
one folder and everything else in a designated Papers folder, it will
nicely recreate the hierarchy in the Papers folder. If they use
filing relative to the .bib file, then this will nicely recreate that
relationship.

B. The other option (one or the other has to be done, otherwise the
recipient will get a .bib file with a lot of broken PDF links) is to
change the local-url field in the archived .bib file to point to the
correct target. The problem with this option is if there are two PDFs
named the same thing, but in different directories, option A will
automatically "do the right thing," whereas option B will require
renaming the PDF before archiving.

-AHM