On 2007-12-29, at 2:52 PM, Ingrid Giffin wrote:

> On 12/29/07 2:35 PM, "Adam R. Maxwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> On Dec 29, 2007, at 1:17 PM, Derick Fay wrote:
>>
>>> One thing I miss (having migrated my files) is the display of the
>>> file icons in the column view (the new file fields can't be added to
>>> the column view)-- I would frequently open a file by double-clicking
>>> the pdf icon assoc. with a pub. in the column view.  Now it seems I
>>> need to select the item just to see if it has an associated file,
>>> then mouse over to the r/h side to open the pdf.  Would it be
>>> possible to put an indicator in the columns view to show whether a
>>> pub. has file(s) associated?  Perhaps double-clicking it could
>>> execute the Publication >  Open Linked Files command.
>>
>> We're not planning to add a table representation unless it's really
>> absolutely necessary, since it implies a single file<->pub
>> relationship.  We could do first file, second file... as with
>> authors,
>> but that's limited as well.
>
> Do I understand correctly, that there will no longer be the file
> icon in the
> column view? This would be a major loss of functionality for me.
>

> --Ingrid Giffin

Me as well. Being able to eyeball which publications have files and to
open them is quite useful. One possibility might be to have something
like Mail's attachment column; if narrow, it shows a paperclip; if
widened, the paperclip as well as the number of items attached. I
don't think there's a need to have "first file/second file/third file"
columns. Currently I'm planning on putting in a script hook on
autofile to copy over the first linked file to local-url, but as
presumably local-url will be deprecated and eventually may disappear,
that's not a permanent solution.

(This is the case for URLs as well, but significantly less so...)

-A