Well, the way I understand crossref is that it is meant for items I
want to cite separately but which depend on a parent item.  For me
this means that I do not use it for chapters, unless these are
articles written by different authors and put together in one single
volume/book. The parent item would be "book", the single articles
"incollection". If however I happen to have several pdf files all
being chapters from one book written by the same author then I would
not recur to crossref but rather combine the chapter pdf files to one
single file and link it to the "book" item or (esp. with the new file
management) throw all files on the "book".  Note:  crossref is not
primarily meant for file handling but for having consistent child
items which get their dependent fields from the parent item they are
linked to.

Alex