Here are my #s:
847 total refs.
1 w 14 files (a complete book)
1 w 13 files (a complete dissertation)
1 w 6 files (a complete book)
1 w 4 files (2 sets reading notes, two articles on the pub.)
3 w 3 files
12 w 2 files (all reading notes and text)
205 w 1 file (a mix of reading notes and texts)

and the balance with none (but this is largely because I imported 550
or so items from an old Paradox database -- most will have files
added eventually; likewise many with one will have two).

Or about 2% with >1 file.

Looking through the items, I can differentiate each attachment from
the preview image, filename &/or file type (sorry Alex :) ) so it's
not a serious problem for me.